I came across two further smellscape projects that I thought may be of interest to the group. I’ve outlined the two projects below and linked to websites with more information.
“The Whiff of Uncertainty” a smellscape project by Esther Wu
- She designed a map that investigates and documents the relationship between weather and the smell of baking doughnuts
- To do so, she documented the necessary information for 11 nights then made an infographic and plotted the information on a map
- More information: http://estherwu.com/student.html
“Columbus’s Smellscape” from Columbus Dispatch
- Map looks at the “smelliest” places in Columbus
- Features subjectively “good” and “bad” smells
- Featured on and more information at: Mapping Weird Stuff
- “Mapping Smell & Smellscapes.” Mapping Weird Stuff. N.p., 14 June 2009. Web. 17 Apr. 2013. <http://mappingweirdstuff.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/mapping-smell-smellscapes/>.
- Wu, Esther. “The Whiff of Uncertainty.” Esther Wu Is a Graphic Designer. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Apr. 2013. <http://estherwu.com/student.html>.